In 1796 Sri Lanka became a colonial sector in Britain Government, Westminster. In 1944 with the ideas of Dr.C.C.Kannangara, English Government decided to establish “Central Colleges”, with the intention of ”Free Education” to all children in Sri Lanka. According to these Reformations, “Badulla Central College” was established in 1929 as the first Central College in Uva Province by the principal Mr.M.Rathnayake. It was firstly known as the “St. Bead’s College”, under the administration of British Missionary. Later on the name was changed as “Welagedara Maha Vidyalaya”. In January 1st, 1939 the name was changed as “Badulla Central College”. With the passage of time many students who passed Grade 5 scholarship examination entered to Badulla Central College to get their secondary education. Gradually Badulla Central College became one of the best schools which performed the largest number of students who passed G.C.E O/L and G.C.E A/L under the guidance of several principals who lead the school from time to time.
Sri Lanka became a colonial sector in Britain Government, Westminster
With the ideas of Dr.C.C.Kannangara, English Government decided to establish “Central Colleges”
As the first Central College in Uva Province. It was firstly known as the “St. Bead’s College”,
The name was changed as “Badulla Central College”
Today there are about 3500 students are studying at Badulla Central College under the guidance of 200 teachers. At present the principal of Badulla Central College is Mr.A.J.M.S.Pubudu Jayasinghe. The school provides many facilities to improve the knowledge of the students. The Information and Communication Technology Unit, Bio Science and Physical Science Unit, Physical Education Unit, Library Unit, Commerce Unit, Art Unit are some of them. In the future the school will be developed for the next generations and will be a leading school in Sri Lanka.